Thursday

Favourite Music Video & Why?

I can't choose any specific music video of mine that is a favourite, so i am going to post a few and tell you why i like them.

Joy Divison - Atmosphere (1988)


I have chosen this video as one of my favourites as Joy Division are one of my favourite bands so it seems appropriate. This video was directed by Anton corbijn who also directed the film Control (which is also one of my favourite films) which was based upon Ian Curtis and his death. The first impression that this video gives is that it is a tribute to Ian Curtis who was the lead singer of Joy divison. However, Corbijn lets the music flow with the gritty, decayed black and white cinematography, and he displays the band and Curtis in still photographs, as if Joy Division are just a fading memory. I think the video captures and represents the moment when you lose a loved one but every thing around is not gritty and decayed but in absoloute detail.

I think this video is absoloutly beautiful however so simple. It also represents and displays something so meaningful in it's basic form. I would love to produce a music video with similar values and also using still images seems very appealing.

Johnny Cash - Hurt

I can't get the video so i posted the link below...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmVAWKfJ4Go

The reason i think this music video is so amazing is not just because it is a classic, but it rebels and represents everything a music video is not supposed to be. Music videos are ment to create a sense of escapism and captivate the viewer into an illusion and this one represents reality.

Romanek, who has directed videos for Madonna, Beck and Audioslave said he made the clip with no commercial expectations or calculations, fully expecting that it would not be shown on major video outlets. Romanek also said that the video intends to represent Cash's achievments but also be very candid about what Johnny's life is like right now.

Laura Marling - New Romantic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNxar07_9YA

Laura Marling is also one of my favourite artists and i love the music video to 'New Romantic'. I like this because it is so simple as it just shows her singing and playing the guitar which is promoting her as an artist and the narrative is represented by shadows on the walls behind her.

I love the simplicity of this as i think this video shows that less is more. I would love for my music video to create a simple effect like this taking into consideration we have no budget ect.

ORE TO COME...


No comments:

Post a Comment